One of the hardest things to overcome is going out to eat while trying to lose weight.
Servings are always too big, and even the most innocent thing like a salad can cost you all of your points (or calories) for one day! You have to be careful!
So I thought I'd post a few tips that work for me.
- Chili's is our go-to restaurant in my family, but those damn chips and salsa are like crack! I could eat an entire basket all by myself! As soon as the chips and salsa hit the table, I throw a piece of gum in my mouth. This would work for bread or any other appetizers that your family may order.
- Plan ahead. I try to have a meal planned before I go. There are certain places where already know what to order. Most restaurants have their nutritional information online, so it makes it easier to check ahead of time. I love Dotti's app - but it's a website too, and it's free!
- Only eat half of what you order. As soon as my food arrives, I cut it in half. You can even ask for a to-go box right away too.
- Try something new! Last week I ordered a garden burger at Red Robin and I was really surprised at how good it was.....and it was like a third of the points of everything else on the menu!
- Always order your salad dressing (or other condiments) on the side. While eating a salad, dip your fork in the dressing for each bite, rather than dumping it on. You will be surprised at how little dressing you can actually get away with. Also, ask for them to hold the cheese - that's a big calorie booster.
Anyone else have tips to add?
Feel free to post them in the comments!